St John Ambulance
St John Ambulance is Australia's most trusted first aid organisation.
St John is a self-funded charity in the Australian community working for the service of humanity. 130 years in Australia, and with one very dedicated purpose; to prevent and relieve sickness and injury, and to act to enhance the health and well being of people of all races and creeds.
How do we do this?
By providing quality first aid products, services and training for our communities.
Our goals are to:
- Make first aid a part of everybody’s life.
- Be the leading provider of first aid services, training and products.
- Provide first aid-related services which building community and individual resilience.
A Defibrillator could save your life today
Sudden Cardiac Arrest might happen to you today.
“Not me,” you think? Consider these sobering facts from the Heart Foundation:
- Heart disease is Australia's No.1 killer, and it takes a precious life every 26 minutes.
- In many people, this is sudden and without warning.
- Sudden cardiac death happens as a result of a cardiac arrest and can happen to people of all ages.
- There is no national registry of sudden cardiac death, but the Heart Foundation estimates around 15,000 people die unexpectedly in Australia from sudden cardiac death every year.
- This equates to around 10% of all Australian deaths that occur every year (153,000).
- Sudden cardiac death rates have not declined in Australia at the same rate as other heart-related deaths.
- SCA differs from a heart attack. SCA can happen to anyone regardless of age, fitness, or weight, and it can happen anytime, anywhere.
- Deaths from cardiac arrest are three times more common than deaths from major trauma, almost four times more common than deaths from stroke, and equivalent to three-quarters of all deaths from cancer.
- Every week, five young Australians under 35 will suffer SCA.
- Every minute without CPR and an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) reduces a victim’s survival rate by 7 to 10 percent.
SCA can happen to a toddler in a playground, a child in school, an athlete on the field, a worker in an office, an adult at home, a jogger in a park. And when the heart stops beating, that person starts dying.
“The clock starts ticking as soon as a person hits the floor. We know that defibrillators save lives, and we don’t want people to die prematurely because they suffer a cardiac arrest and no one has access to an AED to help,” said Alex Hutton, CEO of St John Ambulance (Qld).
“We are committed to ensuring the widespread implementation of public access defibrillators in the community, and this starts with all workplaces including farms, clubs, and organisations ensuring they are ready to save a friend, colleague or patron if they need to.”
The size of a lunchbox, defibrillators are simple to use, with easy to follow visual and voice prompts to guide the user in an emergency.
“Please don’t let a tragedy in your workplace or organisation propel you into action. Get ready today and have an AED in place,” said Mr Hutton.
Visit www.stjohnqld.com.au to purchase your Defibrillator today.
Take advantage of the CCIQ & St. Johns Member Offer by filling out the form below: